Friday, September 22, 2006

Basic Tips: Tools


I have come to find that a well stocked toolbox may not be as effective as a well planned well organized one. When I started my collection of tools and equipment my box was such a disaster that I would spend just as much time sifting through the jumble that even the simplest task took forever. Contrary to popular thinking, there are not many tools needed to do the job correctly. A simple array of quality tools will get you though even the most obscure installation.

The first step to building a toolbox that will satisfy your needs is to take that $2 socket set that you bought at the gas station and throw it out. I have spent hours struggling with bolts or screws when I would work on cars and bad equipment was all that was available.

The second step is to continue this with the rest of your tools. Yes I know its rude to say so but stripped heads and cross threads are nothing but headaches.

The third step (my favorite): it's time to start fresh and NO you don't have to buy from the Snap-On, Mac or Matco guy. You are able to do just as good at a CarQuest or Home Depot. A well thought out box begins with the basic hand tools.

Suggested Tools include:
Screw Driver Set- Both Philips and Straight blade make sure to get all three sizes. One thing I like to look for is an insulated driver to help prevent accidental shorts. Another great idea to help you get into tight spots is an offset screwdriver set, it will allow you to get at those 4x6's in the dash of your Chevy truck or get those troublesome screws holding the cluster bezel.
Wire Cutter / Crimper- DO NOT get the cheap ones that come in a set with terminals. You can pick up a nice pair for $10-$20. I prefer either the Channellock Klein or Ideal 9 inch combo.
Wire strippers- I prefer the Ideal strip master model there are other manufacturers such as CB and Grizzly, but I've had mine for 10 years now and they are just like new. Klein also makes the T stripper. It's not as elaborate but still does the job.
Socket Set- Keep in mind that most cars are now equipped with metric bolt heads throughout. But it is still a good idea to have both SEA and metric on hand. You will also want to have both 1/4 inch and 3/8ths inch drives. Be sure to pick up ratchets and nut driver handles for both drive sizes. Also it would not be a bad idea to get an assortment of torx bits as you will find these come in handy when you least expect it. An inexpensive way to cover your needs is by picking up them up at a Craftsman store. I actually have a set by S K, which you can pick up affordably at CarQuest.
Wrenches- More than likely you will never run into a situation in which a open end/box end wrench is needed so they can wait. But when you start doing some more extravagant installations where grounds require bolts instead of large self-tapping screws, you will want to get a set. Keep in mind to get both SEA and metric sizes. You will also need a set of Allen wrenches, both SEA and metric are needed. I personally like Wiha Allen wrenches, but there are many other brands that will work.
Meters/Test Light- OK, a meter will defiantly not be the cheapest tool in your box but it is a handy one. There are so many makes out there its hard to advise on a brand, however I have a Fluke and I would prefer no other. A test light on the other hand will only be used in simple circumstances and is not needed if you have a meter, but its still nice to have as back up.
Cordless Screw Driver- I recommend at least a 12-volt, 2-speed drill with a clutch. The clutch is key. It will prevent you from over tightening those ground screws, snapping a screw or even cracking plastic. Brands... well brands are debatable. I actually have four different ones I have a DeWalt, Makita, Ridgid, and a Craftsman. Honestly spend a little extra money and get a DeWalt. Be sure to pick up set of drill bits and an array of bits.
Miscellaneous- Yes these are under miscellaneous but defiantly not to be done without. Pliers, a couple sizes will do here 4", and 8" should suit you well. Side Cutters, Klein makes a wonderful 4" set of side cutters that work great for clean edges on zip ties and cutting open wires that are taped together with out effecting the insulation of the wire. I would also pick up an 8" Diagonal Side Cutters for cutting wire to length. For the following you may either need to be extremely innovative or pick up a Ford, and Volkswagen/Audi removal tool set. One tool that I have found myself using more and more as auto makers close the tolerances in their fit and finish is a pic set (with hook tool). I use it for more than popping trim rings and bezels and it will help with wire seperation also.

No comments: